Nicholas Noyes

This is the homepage of Nicholas Noyes, a member (in the 15th generation) of a great family.
Nicholas has 8 ancestors and 32 heirs.

Mark this
Search in our

Google Custom Search
Pangalan:Nicholas Noyes               
Araw ng Kapanganakan:about 1615 Lugar Cholderton, Wiltshire, England
Araw ng Pagkamatay:1701-11-23 Lugar Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts
Pangalan ng Ama: William Noyes
Pangalang ng Ina: Anne Parker
Pangalan ng Asawa (Mga naging asawa):
Kasal kay Mary Cutting Simula 1640-01-01
Anak (Mga Anak):
Daughter: Mary Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan 1641-10-15
Daughter: Hannah Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan 1643-10-30
Son: John Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan 1645-01-20
Son: Nicholas Jr. Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan 1647-12-22
Son: Cutting Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan 1649-09-23
Daughter: Sarah Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan 1651-09-13
Daughter: Sarah Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan 1653-08-22
Son: Timothy Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan 1655-06-23
Son: James B. Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan 1657-05-16
Son: Abigail Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan 1659-04-11
Daughter: Rachel Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan 1660-03-20
Son: Thomas Jr. Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan 1663-06-20
Son: Rebecca Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan 1665-05-18
: ? Noyes Araw ng Kapanganakan about 1667

Nicholas Noyes was born at Cholderton, Wiltshire, about 1614
(about 60 in 1674), died at Newbury MA 23 Nov. 1701, aged about
86; married about 1640 Mary Cutting, born in England say 1620,
died at Newbury before Nicholas, daughter of Capt. John and
Mary Cutting. Sailed on ship Mary & John of London, Robert
Sayres, Master, on 23 Mar. 1634 with brother James and
sister-in-law Sarah. On board also were John Woodbridge, George
Brown, Richard Brown and Thomas Parker, perhaps relatives. The
ship was detained in the Thames where all passengers signed the
oath of allegiance to the king and the church 24 Mar. 1634,
before they were allowed to sail from London. They arrived at
Nantasket (now Hull), MA, near Boston in May 1634 and removed
to Agwam (Ipswich) where they remained during the following
winter. The Rev. Parker and friends remained in Ipswich until
the following spring when they applied to the General Court for
liberty to settle on the Quascacunquen in an area known as
Wessacucon. May 6, 1635, the following orders were passed by
the General Court: - Wessacucon is allowed by the court to be
a plantation & it is refered to Mr. Humfry, Mr. Endicott, Capt.
Turner and Capt. Trask or any three of them, to sett out the
bounds of Ipswich & Wessacucon or so much thereof as they can &
the name of the said plantation in changed & hereafter to be
called Neweberry. Most of the passengers who came to New
England in the ship 'Mary & John' were induced to remove to
Newbury early in the year 1635. Tradition asserts that they
came by water from Ipswich and landed on the north shore of the
Quascacunquen (now Parker) river, about two or three hundred
rods below the brigde that connects the 'Lower Green' with the
'Great Neck' and the town of Rowley. A monument marks the spot
where the settlers disembarked in May or June, 1635. Tradition
states that young Nicholas was the first person to leap ashore
when their boat anchored in the Quascacumquen (now the Parker)
River. (John J. Currier, 'History of Newbury' p.312; Sarah Anna
Emery 'Reminiscences of a Nonagenarian' p.112) They joined 23
men and their families who formed a cattle-breeding company and
were among the first settlers at Newbury where their children
were born. Newbury's first minister was Thomas Parker, a
cousin. He was named deacon of the First Parish 20 Mar 1634/35,
supporting the Rev. Parker in a long bitter church vs state
dispute. Nicholas took the freeman's oath 17 May 1637, when he
and eight others walked from Newbury to Cambridge to vote for
Gov. Winthrop. He returned to England, possibly to settle
family affairs and to report on conditions in Massachusetts
Bay, and returned in 1639 on the Jonathan, and 'came to anchor
in Boston Harbor' accompanied by Anthony Somerby of Newbury and
Peter Noyes of Sudbury. When it was proposed to remove the
inhabitants of Newbury from their first settlement on the
Parker River to a new site nearer the Merrimac, Nicholas Noyes
was a freeholder and a deputy 'for the managing of those things
that concern the ordering of the New Town' on December 7, 1642.
He served Newbury on the school committee in 1652, and was
deputy to the Great and General Court of the King at Boston,
from Newbury, 19 Dec 1660, 28 May 1679, 19 May 1680, and 4 Jan
1680-84. In 1650 Nicholas and four other men were before the
court for saying that 'the elders would transgress for a morsel
of bread.' He lost no prestige thereby for on September 30,
1651, at Ipswich he was sworn clerk of the Newbury market. In
1652 many were brought before the court for not observing the
Sumptuary laws of 1651. The records say 'Nicholas Noyes' wife,
Hugh March's wife, and William Chandler's wife were each
presented for wearing a silk hood and scarf; but were
discharged on proof that their husbands were worth £200 each.
John Hutchins' wife was also discharged upon testifying that
she was brought up above the ordinary rank.' Nicholas was
appointed Commissioner to End Small Causes, or local justice,
in 1657 and 1658. His most important service, however, was as
deputy to the General Court in 1660 and in 1678 when on
September 19 he was chosen by the town 'to serve at the next
session of the Court until it be ended,' a special session
having been called for October 2 at which the oath of
allegiance to King Charles II was submitted and signed by the
deputies; he served also in 1679, 1680 and 1680/1. In deed
15:41 at Salem he conveyed the property to grandson Nicholas,
son of his son John April 19, 1698. Deed 27:8 Salem 1 Apr 1673
is an agreement between parents Nicholas and Mary and their son
Cutting. The homestead of Nicholas Noyes was owned and occupied
in 1885 by the heirs of Nathaniel Little. The Founders of New
England. R929.374 D789R Came on Mary & John of London with
James Noyce (noted in passengers in 1633-34; Robert Sayers,
Mastre, 24 March, 1633. On the ship Confidence of London, John
Jobson Master left Southampton 24 Arpil 1638 and brought Peter
Noyce of Penton, Southampton, Thomas Noyce and Elizabeth
daughter. These settled in Sudbury, MA). It is believed that
James and Nicholas landed on the banks of the Mystic River, the
records show that they settled in Medford, MA in 1634 and moved
to Newbury the following year. On arriving the sailed up the
Parker River (then called Quascacunquen); traditions says that
Nicholas was the first to leap ashore. These were copied out of
an olde Bod of Orders belonging to the Port of Southton but now
remaining at the Custom House in Portsmouth , the 6th day of
Interesting paths to:
You like to correct the above data? Then send us a formless E-Mail:

© Copyright 2006 - 2023

Other Languages
Deutsch English Tagalog Español Polski 

Top of the page


Pageviews: (7554) 2022-09: 0; 2022-10: 0; 2022-11: 45; 2022-12: 36; 2023-01: 24; 2023-02: -- (5)

Last change: 2019-08-01 (Impressum)